HOW IS COCONUT OIL EXTRACTED?
The main difference lies in the extraction method:
- Using Heat: Heat is applied to the source material, which separates the oil over time.
- Using Chemicals: The nuts or fruits are ground or rolled up, and then washed with a chemical solution which allows that the oil will be released. Heat is used as well because the oil will be heated so it separates from the chemical solution.
- Using Pressure: The oil will be pressed with a mechanical press out of the source material. This method is considered to be purer and contains no contamination like the other methods.
After the oil is extracted, another process takes part in order to eliminate any impurities that may have occurred during extraction.
Basically there are TWO main processes but mass produced oil will go through more processes.
- Unrefined: The oil goes through filter process to remove large particles and there is no other refining followed.
- Refined: The oil is exposed to more chemicals, heat, or other materials so to remove any impurities.
In general if we talk about a "Refined Oil" that does not mean it is always treated with chemicals. It can be treated with only heat or special clay to filter and purify it.
WHAT IS FRACTIONATED OIL?
It has 3 names - let's clarify this once and forever:
- Fractionated coconut oil for skincare
- MCT Oil (Medium-chain triglycerides; used in special dietary supplements)
- Liquid coconut oil for cooking
There is High-Quality fractionated coconut oil that looks colorless. And there are Lower Quality oils which appear yellowish due to the moldy impurities or other colored contaminants not completely removed in the manufacturing process.
FATTY ACIDS - WHAT IS THIS ALL ABOUT?
There are three basic types of fatty acids
- medium-chain, and
The basic difference to extra virgin coconut oil is that the long-chain fatty acids had been removed via hydrolysis and steam distillation from the oil.
This change alone is responsible that the oil stays liquid even below 76 degrees.
"Lauric Acid" that is a main ingredient in Extra Virgin Coconut oil is part of these long-chain fatty acids and is mostly removed in fractionated oil.
When it comes to oil pulling, this is the ingredient that the coconut oil must have as lauric acid eliminates all harmful bacteria in the mouth.
- Find more detailed INFO on the Oil Pulling Method here -
We use for our Oil Pulling product Cocopull™ ONLY Virgin Unrefined Coconut Oil. That's why it is so powerful for a healthy oral care.
Now, it's not all over when the lauric acid is gone!
There is still a lot of goodness left such as medium chain fatty acids like capric, caprylic, myristic and palmitic, all of which retain their super-moisturizing capabilities that are so important for skincare.
Still there are the important natural antioxidants which protect from environmental stress causing factors, and nutrients like vitamins A, C, and E, which help maintain a tighter, firmer look.
Fractionated Coconut Oil - Perfect Carrier Oil for Skincare
Can be combined with many other oils and essential oils. It is very light and absorbs quickly into the skin without clogging pores. That's why it is used for many beauty products.
The skin is left with a soft, smooth feeling and it won't leave a greasy film - It is one of the so called non-greasy oils.
WHAT IS EXTRA VIRGIN COCONUT OIL?It's basically the GOOD coconut oil with all fatty acids, lauric acid and so on. It gets firm below 76 degrees and has a natural coconut taste. It can be used for so many things. Following are the main ones:
USE VIRGIN COCONUT OIL FOR
- Cooking and baking - but with a coconut taste
- For Hair Care - We use it in our hair masks for hair growth and hair loss
- As nutritional supplement - It improves your immunity system, has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties.
- For Oil Pulling - Whitens the teeth naturally, kills harmful bacteria in the mouth, prevents gum inflammation and tooth decay.
Helps to get rid of Stretch marks - Regularly massage affected areas with the oil.
- Lose Weight - Virgin coconut oil has these medium chain fatty acids which are used by the body for energy production. Only a little bit is stored in the body as fat. Therefore it actually can help you lose weight when you are on a diet by giving you energy.
- For using it in the skin as a moisturizer and hydration booster
Aviva Pure carries a special Virgin Coconut Oil that is extra made for skin and body care. The process of extraction is done by centrifuge, so all important ingredients are in the oil. It is like fresh from the palm tree. NON-GREASY and the best for any skin!